Sunday 29 July 2012

Simple Halloumi Salad


Do you ever freak out when "the vegetarian" comes for lunch or dinner? My family do all the time. They are traditionalists in the kitchen and can't understand how I don't eat red meat. "You'll eat lasagne won't you Kelly?", "No Mum it's got red meat in it". I used to adore my Mum's beef lasagne as a child, but I can't go there now. I think she's a little taken aback by that.
I must admit, I know I confuse them as I have changed my diet a few times over the years from being a complete vegetarian, to eating chicken, to pescatarian, to no dairy, then dairy.
My husband and I have now mastered the art of coming up with quick fresh and tasty vegetarian meals that don't contain pasta. Some amazing ones do, but not this one. A simple fresh and delicious vegetarian halloumi salad. It takes just minutes to make and vegetarians and non vegetarians will love it. Try it next time 'the vegetarian' visits you. They'll be impressed.


GRILLED HALLOUMI SALAD

Ingredients
A couple of handfuls of rocket
A handful of flat leaf parsley
A handful of mint
1/2 cup of frozen (or fresh) peas, steamed
Halloumi
Olive oil
Red wine vinegar
About a 1 tspn brown sugar


Place all greens in a bowl. Feel free to tear the mint and chop the parsley a little if preferred. Cut halloumi into fours. I usually cut it in half down the centre to make it a little thinner. Baste with olive oil and grill or fry in pan for a few minutes either side until brown. Add to salad and then dress with olive oil, vinegar and brown sugar.  We had this just the other night, but it'd be great in summer too, cooked on the BBQ. Yuuum!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...